Wednesday 24 February 2010

Wave Festival

Wave Festival




While I was checking my mix files for a good follow up for my last post, The New Wave Chronicles, I stumbled upon this peculiar mix I did nearly two years ago. I called it peculiar as it is not what you’d call a regular mix set. This time I’m presenting to you the best live versions of some of the popular new wave songs in one non-stop mix! I can’t remember why I decided to do such one at that time but listening to the entire mix has set me back in the 90s when similar concert cd’s were released in Manila. I’m referring to the cd’s called ‘Live Under The Milky Way’, ‘Wave At The Square’, ‘Spiral Tribe: Concert Edition’ which gave any new wave fan the chance to experience how it would sound like if all these new wave artists are gathered together in one concert. The only thing you’ll have to do is close your eyes and imagine them performing in front of you!



I kick started the set by the classic song ‘In A Big Country’ by one of the best bands Scotland has ever produced- Big Country . The song is actually a personal favourite of my wife and I. Too bad their lead singer, Stuart Adamson, passed away at such a young age. Another talent wasted indeed.

Big Country is followed up by Berlin’s ‘The Metro’. It’s strange hearing this song’s acoustic version as it was originally done with synthesizers. For those unfamiliar with Berlin, they are known for their song ‘Take My Breath Away’ which was featured in the 80s film Top Gun. The third artist featured is Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark or better known as OMD with their classic dance tune ‘Locomotion’. Then any new wave fan would definitely enjoy Gene Love Jezebel’s brilliant live rendition of ‘Motion of Love’. And then ‘Total Recall’ by The Sound drifted in after. I really like this song as the lyrics are quite moving. I first heard this song from the new wave compilation cd called ‘The Rise of Indie’ and I immediately got hooked to it. I must confess that it used to be my old shower song LOL . Although I have little knowledge on The Sound’s discography but IMHO, they should have made it big in the industry as they were really good. But for the new wave fans in the Philippines, this song is a must have in their music collection. Too bad I discovered them very late and it’s too hard to get a copy of their cd’s in music stores nowadays. You can also check out the chapter 2 of ‘The New Wave Chronicles to hear the remixed version of ‘Total Recall’. The Sound is then followed by U2 with ‘Sunday Bloody Sunday’. Shame that Bono and his gang do not produce songs as good as they used to in the 80s. Next in the line up is Soft Cell with the classic ‘Tainted Love’. This song is still played in mainstream radio stations here in the UK as it remains a crowd pleaser. And most 80s compilation cd’s released here won’t be complete without including ‘Tainted Love’ in the selection. I also included performances of 80s icons Billy Idol, The Cure, The Police ,and Depeche Mode in the line up. Maybe some of you would ask why The Cranberries got included in the set with these new wave artists but I must point out that their early works sounded new wave just like The Sundays band . That goes to show how diverse new wave music is.

I think any new wave fan would definitely love this mix as I did not put any fillers in the set. All songs are guaranteed classics. It’s like having a music festival in winter!

Wave Festival

In A Big Country - Big Country
The Metro - Berlin
Locomotion – OMD
Motion Of Love – Gene Loves Jezebel
Total Recall – The Sound
Sunday Bloody Sunday – U2
Tainted Love – Soft Cell
Rebel Yell – Billy Idol
In Between Days – The Cure
Flaming Sword – The Care
Everything Counts – Depeche Mode
Desire – Gene Loves Jezebel
Dreams – The Cranberries
Every Breath You Take – The Police
Boys Don’t Cry – The Cure
99 Luft Balloons – Nena
I Melt With You – Modern English

total playing time: approx. 1 hour 15 minutes









I do hope that you’ll like this latest offering from yours truly. If you do, a simple thanks would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment